Apple Watch Series 7 is one of the best smartwatches that offers many features, and the calling feature is one of them. Every Apple Watch Series 3 and later can make calls, but the phone-free calling feature is available only on the Apple watches with LTE or cellular features.
If your Apple Watch’s crown has a red circle, it indicates that it includes an LTE function. Alternatively, you can check the watch’s settings to see if it has an LTE or cellular option.
A smartwatch with an LTE function can connect to a cellular network via SIM independently without connecting to a smartphone. If you have an Apple watch for kids with LTE, you can use the family set up feature for cellular connectivity on their Apple watch.
Here is our latest list of the best smartwatches that can make calls in 2022.
- How to use Apple Watch to Measure your blood pressure?
- Can you swim or swhower with Apple watch Series 7?
Once the LTE feature is activated, you can make calls or text messages from the watch without your iPhone. But the question is, Do you need a SIM card for Apple Watch Series 7 or How to put the sim card in Apple Watch Series 7?
Do you need a SIM card for Apple Watch Series 7?
No. The Apple Watch Series 7 uses an eSIM or virtual SIM card to connect to the cellular network. So, you dont need to have a physical SIM card to activate cellular services on your Apple Watch 7.
The eSIM is a digital SIM embedded in the watch and does not require a physical SIM card. So, you don’t need to break your Apple Watch to insert a SIM card. Instead, just follow the below steps and learn how to activate eSIM on Apple Watch Series 7.
Before we continue, be sure you fulfill the following conditions to set up eSIM on your Apple Watch Series 7 successfully.
Requirments to Activate Cellular Feature on your Apple watch
- Make sure that you own an Apple Watch with an LTE feature.
- Make sure that your country supports Apple watch LTE. Here is the updated list of countries that support Apple Watch LTE.
- Ensure that your carrier supports eSIM, or you will not be able to use the cellular features on your watch. You can check if your carrier supports eSIM by visiting their website or contacting their customer service.
- If your carrier supports LTE connectivity for Apple Watch Series 7, ensure you have an eligible cellular service plan.
- The final requirement is that your iPhone and Apple Watch must be updated to the latest software.
Please note that your Apple watch and iPhone will be using the same service provider and cellular service plan, which means that you will be using the same cellular number on both devices.
How to Activate eSIM on Apple Watch Series 7
Once you have fulfilled the requirements, the easiest way to activate the cellular feature on your Apple watch is to contact your service provider for help.
However, you can also try the following steps to activate cellular on your Apple Watch Series 7.
How to set up cellular on the apple watch(by yourself)?
- Open your Apple Watch App on your iPhone.
- Locate the “Cellular” Tab on the “My Watch” tab
- Now tap cellular and follow the prompts to activate LTE on your carrier plan.
- After entering all the required information, tap “Start” and wait for a few minutes until the watch attempts to activate.
- If there is no problem when attempting to activate cellular service, you will see a connected status in green on the Apple Watch.
If you encounter any problem, you can contact your service provider for more help. Once the cellular feature is activated, you can make calls and send text messages from your Apple Watch Series 7 without your iPhone.
The best part is that you will have the same number on both devices and can easily use the cellular features on your watch without any concerns.
Does Apple watch SIM card slot?
No. The modern Apple watch does not have a SIM slot. Instead, Apple Watches with LTE uses an eSIM or virtual SIM to connect to a cellular network.
Do you have to activate cellular on the Apple watch?
Yes. You have to activate LTE connectivity for your smartwatch. If you don’t activate cellular, the watch will not connect to LTE networks, and you won’t be able to take advantage of its eSIM.
Which Apple Watch Supports the LTE feature?
Apple Watch Series 3 and later models support the LTE feature. If your Apple Watch has a red circle on its crown, it means that it includes an LTE function. If you have an earlier model such as the Apple Watch Series 1 or 2, those watches are not compatible with LTE and cannot connect to cellular networks.
Does Apple watch the Series 7 sim card slot?
No. The Apple Watch Series 7 does not have a SIM card slot as it does not require a physical SIM card to make calls or send texts.
Do Apple Watch with LTE drain battery?
Yes. Because the Apple Watch with LTE is constantly connected to a cellular network, it will drain the battery more quickly than the Apple Watch without LTE. You should expect shorter battery life if you regularly use the watch’s cellular features.
If you are running out of battery frequently, make sure to check our ultimate guide on how to save Apple watch battery life in 2022.